How Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) Can Benefit Your Website
Since Google’s announcement last fall to introduce an optimized mobile website project, publishers and technology companies have been waiting eagerly for a chance to make their mobile content shine. In February, the company finally began its support for Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) available which was, not surprisingly, well-received. This initiative basically aims to make mobile pages with heavy content load faster. This speed allows for increased mobile readability for websites that offer rich content like The New York Times, Guardian, and Vox Media.
To effectively create these mobile-friendly websites, AMP uses a thinner version of HTML or one that’s on a diet. This slim line of code can fit better in small places (like your smartphone) while performing at a faster rate, unlike its bulkier website version. There’s just no room for all that HTML inside a mobile device!
AMP Key Components
- HTML is stripped down so it’s lightweight and easier to manage on mobile devices
- Images Lazy Load which means they don’t appear until you need them, saving bandwidth
- You can still use analytics and ads like regular web pages
- Google caches AMP pages for quick access and top search result rankings
- Open-sourced so anyone can use it
However, Some Restrictions Do Apply
- Must use streamlined versions of CSS and HTML. CSS must be inline (on page) and less than 50kb
- AMP sites must be properly validated, meaning they’ll work every time!
- No forms allowed
- Custom fonts have to be specially loaded
- Images height and width must be declared
- Videos have to use AMP approved extensions
Remember that these restrictions allow our mobile content to appear quickly, thus alleviating our frustrations with unbearable loading times.
How Can AMP Speed-Up Mobile Web Pages?
- Uses a lighter version of HTML for faster loading time
- Asynchronous loading so you don’t have to wait for the next thing to load
- Lazy Loading makes photos appear only when scrolled to
- Google caches AMP pages so they come up quickly for top optimization
Overall, Accelerated Mobile Pages aim to create a great user experience across multiple mobile devices. According to Google, AMP HTML pages can load 15-85% faster than their non-AMP counterparts. With faster loading times, users are guaranteed to stay on a web page for longer which drives up search ranking. Furthermore, since Google caches these mobile-friendly websites for future use, rankings will increase even more. Plus, the continuation of using ads on a mobile version still counts towards revenue for companies. This free framework gives users the opportunity to quickly read and move through high-quality content on any device while promising top rankings for company websites.
Contact us today at (973) 317-8765 if you’re ready to start using Accelerated Mobile Pages for your company’s website!